Sunday, April 19, 2009

LR2.3 & Zavier Rudd

Today I sit here typing after spending most of my day doing exercises from my Lightroom 2.3 class at Samys. Zavier Rudd is playing in the background as I write to you now about what I have learnt, while I have drunk my last glass of two buck Chuck (red) for the evening and my husband scurries around the study, trying to work out what he is able to part with. 

What an interesting day! While LA came out to play with the sun shinning, (hopefully) a sign of the summer to come, I eagerly sat myself inside a small dark and very air-conditioned room, to learn the ins and outs of Adobes Lightroom 2.3. Having already sat through the previous online tutorials I found the first half of the class, not as interesting as I would have liked... however, roll on lunch and an inevitable pita bread from "jack in the box"...I know, sounds worse than it was... and I was immersed once again in the possibilities of the digital darkroom. Today, I truly learnt the ramifications of not shooting RAW while in Sydney on my last trip (bad Jasmine!) Never again!

I also learnt how awesome a recovery can be in post for my white balance. Bitches YAY! Stoked or what!!!! I wont lie, I am guilty as charged for shooting B&W in low light situations where I find it hard to colour balance. eg: Clubs, Bars & Restaurants. Yay! There is hope yet. 

I also guiltily confess that until a week ago, I had never heard of the term "Burn!" Yes yes, shoot me, I don't care, I never took photography at school and thus never learnt the awesomeness that is the darkroom (well, till next week anyways), so I am slowly, but hopefully not too slowly, learning the ins and outs of what I can accomplish creatively, in both a dark & light room.

I will spend the week attempting to use my post tools aesthetically... stranger things have happened. Wish me luck. I guess this is where the term Less Is More, will come into play so much. 

No comments: