Friday, May 12, 2006

Starcross'd

The last 4 days saw me work as Clapper Loader on a short film "Starcross'd". It was created by Digi Media Student Pat Clair, who directed the piece. In short it is his pet and I think it will be fabulous. We had proffesional dancers come in for the shoot, Amy, Sarah Jane, Kaylee, Jason and Ethan. They were brilliant. The moves these guys showed us were really really good. They were masters of their art from breakdancing, hip hop and freestyle these guys were great.

Andrew McLeod was the DoP and Bonnie Elliott was the operator and Brie Walsh was focus puller. Tigs was the 1st AD, which was great. I last saw her on a short film we shot out at Richmond for 3 days "Checkpoint"

Day 1 and 2 saw us with support, so it was a big couple of days. We knocked over approx 30 shots each day which was what we were aiming for. Day 1 we had the Digi Beta, and then for the rest of the shoot we used a HD camera.

Day 3 and 4 saw us with support, Gaffers, Grips and Design support too. The crane came out on day 3 and we used the dolly on day 4. (yay for Turbo, Boshey, Jason, Ryan and Rowan!)

Over all the shoot went really well, Pat even spoilt everyone with a bottle of Cab Sauv wrapped in celophane with candy hidden inside after we wrapped.

My slating is definatly improving and my camera notes are more detailed now, and I am no longer relying on Brie to give me the details for my sheets. (With prime lenses I am fine, but we were working a zoom lens and I found myself needing to always check what mm we were at because it changed so frequently)

I liked working with the HD, from an assistant's perspective the split is far easier to work with and it has a much clearer picture. Have a look at the pictures below, they will give an idea of what I am talking about. The whole shoot was blue screen so I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

No comments: